1 of 2
Is Usana a scam?
Posted: 16 September 2009 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-09-16

Hi All!

I would like to find out if anyone is taking the Usana (Link removed-Moderator) vitamins.  A friend tried to convince me to buy the vitamins which he said it has the highest rated supplements in the world.  The pitch is very convincing but what makes me very uncomfortable is this brand of vitamins is sold under the MLM (multi level marketing) plan.  Which translates to high dollars for the vitamins.

I do not mind paying more or even it’s sold under MLM, but does it work?

Thanks!

Posted: 16 September 2009 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

Probably not.

Remember the rule: If it sounds too good to be true, chances are it is.

Seriously, there’re pretty much no diet plan sold that can’t be somehow replicated without paying ridiculous amounts.

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 17 September 2009 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

Sounds like a scam to me
I don’t know an MLM that isn’t

You’re better off going to your local health food shop and checking out the herbs/vitamins they have on offer there.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 17 September 2009 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  2005-06-15

I buy the Swisse brand of vitamins myself but I’m sure there are other brands that are just as good for around the same price. I’d just recommend to buy a reputable brand that doesn’t cost too much money.

Apart from that the real thing to do is to have a healthy diet. That’s easier said than done for a lot of people but there’s no real substitute for that.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 19 September 2009 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank you all for your feedback!

Posted: 28 September 2009 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-09-28

MLMs and Selling “high rated” health supplements do not make for a good mix.

Especially with all the Acai Berries controversy going around.
I would definetly avoid.

KRegards

Signature 

http://www.thatsnonsense.com - quick reference to email and Internet nonsense.

Posted: 19 November 2009 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-11-19

I think you’ll find Usana are one of the few companies that have a 100% potency guarantee unlike most of the ones in your health store sold at low cost, most of which are water soluble, and not given chance to be in our bloodstream. You can take it anywhere to be tested if you wanted to be sure of yourself, try a univeristy lab.
As for the network marketing side of it, the founder Dr myron Wentz created the company with an aim for better health and wealth for people so began his own network marketing system encouraging good people who used and believed in the product were getting the word out about good health and quality of life. If it is a scheme its a damn good one. People should still be getting taxed if in this.

Posted: 19 November 2009 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2898
Joined  2005-06-15
jess_s - 19 November 2009 11:18 PM

I think you’ll find Usana are one of the few companies that have a 100% potency guarantee unlike most of the ones in your health store sold at low cost, most of which are water soluble, and not given chance to be in our bloodstream. You can take it anywhere to be tested if you wanted to be sure of yourself, try a univeristy lab.
As for the network marketing side of it, the founder Dr myron Wentz created the company with an aim for better health and wealth for people so began his own network marketing system encouraging good people who used and believed in the product were getting the word out about good health and quality of life. If it is a scheme its a damn good one. People should still be getting taxed if in this.

Can you list any links to unbiased properly conducted research that can back that up?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 19 November 2009 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

When it comes to any major health questions, I typically check them out at http://www.quackwatch.org.  The folks there do real in-depth research into what is being offered and the claims being made by the product.  A simple perusal there will show you that when it comes to MLM health products, all you are really paying for is the hype. (And often the premium prices charged are for poor quality products…)

You would probably be better off buying generic vitamins at the best price you can find. After all, chemically, a vitamin is a vitamin is a vitamin. hmmm

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 29 July 2010 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-29

IMHO usanka vitamins are good products, but almost impossible to sell.
It is very, very hard to convince someone to pay $30 US for a bottle of Vitamin
C that would cost 2.75 at Walmart. When I did usanka I could not even give stuff away.
No one believed a word I said, including ppl who had asked me for nutritional advice in the past.
The products are fine.
Dr. Wentz may or may not be a great biochemist. Dr. Wentz could be the
archduke of Luxembourg and the opportunity would still be a scam.
Donald Trump has a nutrition MLM now and to qualify for commissions you have to let him
charge your card 130 per month!

He got the idea from usanka.

Posted: 30 July 2010 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

Everything is a scam in one way or another.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 25 February 2011 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-02-25

Hi,

Usana is definately not a scam. I don’t sell it but I do use it. I actually saw your post because I was on my way to the usana site to make an order but had forgotten address. I have been a coldsore sufferer ( yes, yucky I know), my entire life. I began taking “body rox” by usana about 1.5 years ago. My frequency of experiencing coldsores went from about every 2months, to over 10months without them. I usually only get them now if I run out of tablets (usana), or if i get really really sick. Yes Usana costs more than store bought vitamins, but I have tried using store bought ones when my usana runs out -they do nothing for me.
As for all the pesamistic folks saying things like “if it sounds to good to be true…...”, wow, you guys will really miss out on some great things in life with that attitude smile

1 of 2