Posted: 31 August 2009 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/conspiracy_theorist_convinces_neil

LEBANON, OHIO

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 31 August 2009 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

*...performs Mega-Skull Crushing FacePalm…* shut eye

*...Notices that fingers now stick out through back of skull* gulp

*...Struggles to hear the sound of one hand clapping…*  surprised

*...Crawls into corner and assumes standard Fetal Position…* shock

“He’s been researching the subject on the internet for years!”

“Literally years!”

*...begins to jabber meaningless syllables incoherently…*

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 31 August 2009 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3807
Joined  2008-09-08

Rather, it would all be okay if you just consider the source.

Posted: 31 August 2009 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21
Ahdora - 31 August 2009 04:56 PM

Rather, it would all be okay if you just consider the source.

I know it comes from the Onion, but it closely mimics a nightmare i have had for years now….. shock

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 31 August 2009 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

In further news, aliens have declared sightings of mankind to be either hoaxes or else optical illusions caused by atmospherics bending light waves from Proxima Centauri through swamp gas that is being swirled by the Coriolis Effect.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 01 September 2009 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  293
Joined  2005-09-11

Over the years I’ve seen countless examples of people taking Onion stuff seriously. There must be millions of them out there.
I find that creepy on many levels.
Even serious media have been known to repeat rather outrageous Onion articles now and then.

Signature 

This is the internet, where men are men, women are men, and little girls are FBI agents.

“Do you expect me to talk?”
“No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die!”

Some people are like slinkies: They don’t really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posted: 01 September 2009 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Yeah, I think there was a middle-eastern paper a while back that was repeating some of the Onion stuff pretty faithfully, or something.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 01 September 2009 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01
eovti - 01 September 2009 05:00 AM

Over the years I’ve seen countless examples of people taking Onion stuff seriously. There must be millions of them out there.
I find that creepy on many levels.
Even serious media have been known to repeat rather outrageous Onion articles now and then.

Yeah, they did that with the satirical “Harry Potter spreads Satanism” the Onion published.

Which leads us to conclude either (A) they had so little evidence that they were forced to pretend the Onion was legitimate enough to be “true” or (B) they were so out-of-touch with reality that they didn’t know that the Onion holds about as much weight as the Weekly World News.

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 01 September 2009 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Robin Bobcat - 01 September 2009 07:10 AM

Yeah, I think there was a middle-eastern paper a while back that was repeating some of the Onion stuff pretty faithfully, or something.

Then there are the ones who depict satirical works such as the Onion as typical of American or Western journalism, and use that idea to promote the claim that all news from the West is nothing but similar lies. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 03 September 2009 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2007-07-11

Or they don’t know the onion is satirical. I have never heard about this magazine and would take iyt as legimate news.

Signature 

have you ever danced with the devil in plae moonlight?

Posted: 03 September 2009 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

Mushrooms, gotta have mushrooms with onions.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 06 September 2009 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

One giant slip in Bangladesh news

Two Bangladeshi newspapers have apologised after publishing an article taken from a satirical US website which claimed the Moon landings were faked.

The Daily Manab Zamin said US astronaut Neil Armstrong had shocked a news conference by saying he now knew it had been an “elaborate hoax”.

Neither they nor the New Nation, which later picked up the story, realised the Onion was not a genuine news site.

Both have now apologised to their readers for not checking the story.

“We thought it was true so we printed it without checking,” associate editor Hasanuzzuman Khan told the AFP news agency. “We didn’t know the Onion was not a real news site.”

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

1 of 2