Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 10 September 2009 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15030
Joined  2006-08-16

On topic, please.  Don’t let this thread diverge into another American politcal discussion.

And Battlefield Earth was pretty freakin’ scary.  But not for usual “horror movie” reasons.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 10 September 2009 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21
Tah - 10 September 2009 06:33 PM

On topic, please.  Don’t let this thread diverge into another American politcal discussion.

And Battlefield Earth was pretty freakin’ scary.  But not for usual “horror movie” reasons.

Agreed.  (And sorry…) downer
Battlefield Earth was only a middlin’ good book. (It was VERY slow going for about 300 pages in the middle.)  Trying to make it into a movie caused them to cut the heck out of the exposition of the story, thereby making everything in it make absolutely NO sense whatsoever…. rolleyes

One of things current film makers seem to have forgotten is that part of what made some of these movies so scary was the MUSIC. 
Like in The Fog.... gulp

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 13 September 2009 04:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2009-09-12

I’m glad the dates are included on the original list, I saw ‘Wicker Man’ and immediately rolled my eyes while thinking of how terrible the Nick Cage version I suffered through was.
I’ve seen all the movies on Dave’s list, and 8 of the original list’s and I agree with a lot of them. I’m impressed with the inclusion of Cannibal Holocaust, although I found that less a horror movie and more just horrifying in general. If you’ve never seen it and have the stomach for not only movie gore, but the disgusting depths of humanity (the film, I found, seemed to have a lot to say on the subject) then I suggest you check it out if you can find it.
I found the Mothman Prophecies was pretty freaky, especially towards the end. I’m not sure I could make a list of ten though (that isn’t just ripped from previous lists), all I can think of are the stupid and terrible movies that pass for ‘horror’.

Posted: 14 September 2009 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21
Lady Pyro - 13 September 2009 08:35 AM

I’m not sure I could make a list of ten though (that isn’t just ripped from previous lists), all I can think of are the stupid and terrible movies that pass for ‘horror’.

But some of those are the best ones! LOL

(I save those up for Awful Movie Nights, and then make Crafty watch them with me…..at least i think she’s watching somewhere behind that huge pile of yarn!) cheese

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 29 September 2009 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-09-24

What about the SAW movies, The Mist, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre(remake) and most films by Rob Zombie?

Signature 

Some men are wise and some are otherwise

Posted: 01 January 2010 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2009-12-31

I love sombie films so they would proberly be top ten on my list. I bought the Nightmare on elm street full boxset, very amusing film. lol

Kind Regards
King Fluffs

Signature 

Cryptids On Land Are Easier To Hunt Than Those In Sea And Air.

Posted: 12 April 2010 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-01-28
Australo-who-icus? - 29 September 2009 06:51 AM

What about the SAW movies, The Mist, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre(remake) and most films by Rob Zombie?

the first saw movie was pretty good, but the following ones were not very impressive! although i wanted to watch the fifth and the sixth part i havent

Posted: 13 April 2010 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  476
Joined  2008-09-11

I kinda liked the “Phantom of the Opera” that had the guy that played Freddy Krueger as the Phantom.  (Although as a fan of the actual ‘Phantom’ musical, I was disappointed until I watched a second time.)

Signature 

To know that we know what we know, and to know that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge.  -copernicus

Posted: 20 April 2010 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2336
Joined  2005-11-02

Here are 10 of my favourites in no particular order;

The Lost Boys (1987)
The Haunting (1963)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
The Thing (1982)
Silent Hill (2006)
Hellraiser (1987)
In the Mouth Of Madness (1994)
Event Horizon (1997)
Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetery Man) (1994)
Halloween (1978)

Signature 

The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible.
Oscar Wilde

http://www.destinedtofall.co.uk

Posted: 20 April 2010 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

The Thing is one of those odd situations for me.  The original story written back in the 1930’s is really good.  Then they decided to make a movie based on it in the 1950’s, but due to various technical and financial and executive reasons it really didn’t have all that much to do with the original story. . .but it was a really good movie.  And then they made a new movie in the 1980’s based on the original story which was a lot closer to the original plot.  But I didn’t like that version anywhere near as much.  It was an okay movie, but not really a good one.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

2 of 3